Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I Spy......, Smoke Out!!!

Ever since we returned from Dallas this past trip, Carson loves to play, I Spy. Taylor had an I Spy book and he loved to read it. So every time we get in the car now, we play, I Spy. It is so funny to listen to some of the stuff that he "Spy's".

So today, I just couldn't get motivated to do anything, I was going to take Carson to a Thomas the Train event at a local library, but opted out on that idea. Blake said I was mean for not taking him...I just didn't feel like going! So we ended up going to the book store and buying Carson an I Spy book. He absolutely loves it.

Today, I also cooked a Chicken and Sausage Gumbo....are you ready for a funny story about this??

So I have made gumbo several times with no problem, I think today was just one of those days! I started out by making my roux, everything was going fine...stir, stir, stir...and I had it so dark, that I knew it had to be ready, but it just didn't look right, it wasn't "pasty" enough. So, being impatient, I cranked up the heat to try and get a "quick" paste, boy was that the wrong idea. All of a sudden it started smoking so bad and the smell of burnt roux was all throughout the house! I turned around to look in the living room and the entire house was nothing but smoke! I had to open the front door and open several windows to try and get the smoke out. I was so hoping no body would walk by our house and smell this hideous smell and call the fire department because smoke was coming out....and all this while having 50' weather outside! Thank goodness while at the store I bought a jar of pre-made roux, because I had used all of the EVOO (extra virgin olive oil, for those of you who don't watch Rachael Ray) in the burnt batch of roux!

So the gumbo in the long run came out really well. When Blake walked in from work this afternoon, he asked me what that smell was...I told him, "Don't even ask"!

No comments: